Who I’d like to vote for
Posted September 5, 2008on:
(Written on September 1)
As I watch all the campaign coverage, I find myself confused and unable to make a choice. Neither of the main two parties has presented me with a candidate that I feel good about voting for. I have different reasons on either side. But rather than go into that, I’d like to talk about what I’d really like to see in a presidential candidate.
1. Integrity – From there so much else flows. If you are a person who acts at all times (or at least when it really counts) with integrity then you are probably someone that I will respect.
2. Honesty – Sometimes there are truths that we don’t want to hear, but a strong leader will tell us anyway. Also, I want to be able to trust the leader of my country again. It’s disheartening to wonder where the real truth is in all the words we hear.
3. Responsibility – This is something that I’d like to see both on the personal level and on a national level. Our leader needs to take responsibility for his/her actions and face up to the consequences when a bad decision is made.
4. Pride – I’m not talking about cockiness (because Americans often have too much of that), but a pride in a country where people still care about each other. This is still a great nation for reasons that aren’t talked about enough and when we’re at our best we really do shine.
5. Wisdom – Our leaders have generally been an intelligent bunch, but we need a leader with true wisdom as well. We don’t live in an age when rash decisions can be made and I’d like to see a leader who puts thought behind the action.
6. Respect – This includes respect for the world we live in and the people who live in it. It’s much easier to relate to a person who respects you as a human being despite differences. At the most fundamental level we are all the same; we are born, we breathe, and someday we will all die.
These may all seem trite, but I’ve yet to see someone who embodies all of these fairly basic values. I’m tired of having to compromise for the one who has a couple of them. Someday, I hope that we will have the chance to choose the person who will bring these ideals to our capital and to our country.